Monday, January 23, 2012

January 11 -- Mammogram

This was written on Jan. 11, 2012 but wasn't published until Jan. 23, 2012

On 1/11/12 I had my first mammogram. And, the second one about 1 hour later.

I've always had "lumpy" boobs so when I found another lump in mid December I assumed it was the same thing. It felt different but I was positive it was nothing. I had an appointment with my GP for an unrelated issue so I figured I'd hold out until after Christmas. After all, it was nothing.

January 6, 2012 I saw Dr. A. We talked about the other stuff going on and I told her that I had found a lump in my left breast.  She asks me to show her where the lump is. She feels around and agrees that there is something there that needs to be checked out. Before I left the clinic I had an appointment for Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 9 AM.

January 11th comes. I get myself down to the breast clinic around 8:30. I'm taken in before 9. The tech I had was awesome. She made me feel totally comfortable and reassured me that most findings are benign.

She asks me a few questions, explains what's going to happen and we do the mammogram. It was over in about 15-20 minutes. I sit in the room while she takes the films to the radiologist to make sure everything looks OK. She comes back in, and tells me I can get dressed. I change, and wait for someone to take me to the main hospital for the ultrasound.

I register, change and wait. And wait. A nurse calls me into a room to tell me that there was something on the mammogram and that we needed to get more images. My first thought was, "I expected this." I obviously had a mass. That's why I brought it up with Dr. A. I'm taken to the newer part of the hospital and do about 5 more images on each side. I'm taken back to the area to have the u/s done. I wait for about 15 minutes before I'm called in. The tech does the u/s and I'm sent back out to wait. I swear, I think I was sitting around for at least 2 hours. I'm called back into the room and told I can change but I need to see the doctor because there was a "suspicious mass" that didn't show up on the u/s but it was on the mammograms. So, I change, and wait. And wait, I waited for a good hour, probably more, while other women who came in AFTER me had their mammograms and u/s done. Some needed to see the doctor while others were able to leave shortly after. They were in and out. I finally asked why I wasn't being called back to see the doctor. Seems they "lost" my stuff. Just  my luck. They magically find it about 2 minutes after I asked but the doctor was too busy to see me and he still needed to have lunch so I got to see a nurse.

The nurse told me I had 5 masses and that I needed a biopsy. She said someone would call me with more info. She couldn't answer any of my questions. I gave her my cell number so someone could call me back after lunch with more info. I was sent on my way and told to expect a call later that afternoon.

When I got home, I went into the den and cried. I expected them to find 1 mass, not 5. A few hours later I got a call from the clinic and the nurse explained things better.

5 "cysts" showed up on the u/s. That wasn't really news to me because I did have an u/s when Matthew was about 2 and I was told I had cysts. I did ask why they needed to be drained because 5 years ago, it wasn't an issue. She explained to me that sometimes a mass can look like a cyst but it won't be. So, we need to try to drain it, or in my case them, to make sure that's all there is. I was fine with that explanation.

A few days later I got the call to schedule the procedure. January 18. Should be fun!

No comments: